The Mining Society of Nova Scotia Overview
History of the Mining Society of Nova Scotia
In the latter part of the 19th century there was a great deal of activity in mining in Nova Scotia, especially in gold and coal. Because of this activity, in 1885, The American Institute of Mining Engineers held its annual meeting in Halifax, NS. This prestigious meeting may well have been the spark that led to a local mining organization, since, early in 1887 a group of the best known mining men in the province met in Halifax and under a motion of J.H. Townsend, the Gold Miners Club of Nova Scotia was formed. It was the first professional mining association in Canada and turned out to be the direct antecedent of both the Mining Society of Nova Scotia and the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum. A slate of officers was elected and Ben Wison became its first President. R.G. Leckie and John Hardman were Vice-Presidents.
An Act to Incorporate the "Gold Miners Association of Nova Scotia, Limited "
In 1892, prompted by a threatened royalty on coal, the Mining industry of Nova Scotia closed ranks and the Gold Miners Club became The Mining Society of Nova Scotia. Henry S. Poole was elected President.
A short time later the formation of a national mining group was to take place. Leading to its formation was the Federation of the Ontario Mining Institute, The Quebec Mining Association, and the Mining Society of Nova Scotia.
One of the main reasons for joining the Federation was to release the Society from the job of publishing its own proceedings - the year was 1894. Further meetings took place to discuss the ramifications of the Union but by 1896, the Canadian institute of mining was firmly established with its first chairman, R.G. Leckie.
Our relationship with the National body began as an autonomous one. With the demise of the Federation in 1896, the Society decided to revise its own Journal for the publication of its transactions and did so until the last issue in 1917.
Throughout the early years of the 20th century, Sexton, Gary and others were working on an affiliation with the National body. Finally in 1918 at our Annual meeting of the Society in New Glasgow, The Mining Society of Nova Scotia became an affiliate of the CIM, but maintaining its name, remaining self-governing, and keeping the use of any grants or donations for its own purpose. In return for a fee, the Institute would relieve the Society of all expenses in the publication of their transactions.
For more information:
The Mining Society of Nova Scotia
88 Leeside Drive
Sydney Nova Scotia B1R 1S6
Tel: (902) 567-2147
Fax: (902) 567-2147